Okay, so I decided to give Vultr Hosting a test so as to base my judgement from my own (actual) experience.
Here is (briefly) what happened:
- Money deposited from PP, no hitches, and it doubled as per the promo offer
- I picked one of the primary locations (Amsterdam, Netherlands) for deployment
- OS: Ubuntu 13.10 x64
- Server becomes ready, did not take very long (not even one minute)
- I try to reach the instance via SSH – connection times out, repeatedly, so I reboot it: same result.
- So I decided to try to reinstall the OS, perhaps there was some hiccup for w/e reason…okay, all done, I wait a few moments extra just to be sure everything is deployed, and then I SSH to it: connection refused.
- After I had written the above I try it again (SSH) and it now works :)
I’ll do some (again only superficial / brief) testing on it:
|CPU model :
|| Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz
|Number of cores :
|CPU frequency :
|Total amount of ram :
|Total amount of swap :
|System uptime :
dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.27012 s, 473 MB/s
dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=1M count=1k oflag=dsync
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.06191 s, 264 MB/s
dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k oflag=dsync
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.8949 s, 90.3 MB/s
|UnixBench (w/ all processors)
|UnixBench (w/ one processor)
[divider]Speedtest.net Speed Test[/divider]
There is no conclusion yet, but my initial impressions of Vultr Hosting is not exactly bad — when concentrating purely on the VPS itself, and leaving all else aside. I will update this post with a ServerBear benchmark when it completes. If the VPS proves to be stable (evaluation time for that — in my case — is at least one month), I’ll put up another IRC node. There is one perk with my location — as with all primary locations — and that is it comes DDoS protected, or so they claims or claimed.
That’s all for now
I also ran a benchmark on their 512 MB VPS at their New Jersey location, here’s that benchmark (ServerBear):
I felt there was no need to create a separate post just for this, so I add it here. Over and out!
Get your Vultr VPS now, sign up here: http://www.vultr.com